Bosch PTS 10
|Synonyms:||sawbench, bench saw;|
DE: Tischkreissäge, TKS, Baukreissäge,
Baustellenkreissäge, stationäre Kreissäge
|Used with:||push sticks, circular saw blades, shop vac,|
|Access Requirements:||table saw introduction - not alone|
|Similar (More or Less):||circular saw, chop saw|
This is one of the most dangerous but also one of the most versatile woodworking tools.
Did you know you can also turn a rotary tool into a micro table saw?
Health & Safety
Unless we get our hands on a stopping table saw, this is a machine that can take fingers off. Take precautions to prevent the worst from happening!
- read the manual
- get a personal introduction
- gloves: make an informed decision
- some sources say you should wear them to protect yourself against splinters which could surprise you and make your hand flinch in a dangerous position
- others prohibit the use of gloves as your entire hand could be dragged into the blade if one gets caught
- double-check that the riving knife (splitter) is in line with the blade - it prevents the workpiece from catching on the rear of the blade and being hurled towards you ("kickback")
- wear ear defenders and safety goggles
- a new belt might reduce the noise if the saw uses a belt
- hook up a shop vac to reduce dust
- never operate the saw if you are in the CoMakingSpace by yourself
- make sure the table is standing safely and securely - anti-slide mats may help
The blade should be sharpened or replaced when it becomes dull, otherwise using it is very dangerous! Tell a manager if you are noticing any problems, e.g. increased force required to push your workpieces or poor quality cuts.
Decreased cutting ability can also result from dirt buildup - here are some cleaning instructions.
Repairs & Upgrades
- fall 2018 (after approx. one year of use):
- pin holding the cam lever of the parallel fence sometimes came loose - Lukas put an M3 screw with a lock nut through it to keep it in place
- threaded insert to secure the parallel fence in the front became loose, had to be replaced with a T-nut that Sebastian cut to size
- dust extraction hose sometimes came off - Moritz secured it with zip ties so it hopefully won't happen again
- March 2019: broken pin in the height adjustment handwheel replaced with a blind rivet pin (Moritz and Lukas)
- July 2019: internal cleaning & oiling, blade cleaning, adjustment of the 90° and 45° limit screws (Lars & Lukas)
Fences & Jigs
Two aluminum fences come with the saw and can be mounted as a parallel ("rip") and a miter ("crosscut") fence.
Jigs we would like to add are helpers for safer and more accurate use, e.g. table saw sleds.
A simple plastic push stick came with the saw, but it's easy to make custom ones that may be more suitable for your project. If anything about the cut you're trying to make does not feel right, use a different push stick or ask someone with more experience!
Depending on the size of your workpiece, push blocks may also work.
Coming Up: Elektra Beckum PK 255
Elektra Beckum PK 255
So far, this machine only comes with a parallel fence. Let's already collect offers for additional accessories while commissioning!
- miter fence
- sliding table
- what else?
This tool is not ready for usage yet, since not all commissioning steps are completed yet. The process is also tracked on GitHub. Feel free to contribute to making it usable, any help is very welcome!
|Name the tool:||same as Metabo PK 255?||perhaps missing an important synonym|
|Take a picture||-||pending|
|Find the manual as PDF||manualslib.com||done|
|Documentation||this page, status: in commissioning||pending|
|Print QR-Code||use the wikicrawler||pending|
|Introduction||Table Saw Introduction should get some updates according to the manual and where there are machine-specific elements: e.g. emergency switch, dust extraction, fence(s)||pending|
|Security Check||to be done or witnessed by a manager||pending|
|Test||to be done or witnessed by a manager||pending|
|tool's name, owner and approx. value||if someone finds a reliable current price (lightly used) it would really help with the donation receipt!||pending|
|Last step: make it available||physically and in the wiki - then delete this template||pending|