Buying tools is an option, sure - but many can be made at a fraction of the cost and to your specific needs! You're guaranteed to learn a lot in the process; check out a few Maker channels on YouTube (especially the Homemade Tools & Jigs playlist by "Pask Makes") or these collections of plans, for example:
"Helper" tools, e.g. for making frequent steps more repeatable, are called jigs.
Here are a few tools that you could make:
- wooden mallets
- foam brushes
- clamps & vises
- sanding tools
- sanding drums (for rotary tool or drill press)
- sanding mops/"sanding stars"
- sanding block, e.g. this one
- woodturning tools
- marking knives
- measuring gauges, e.g. angle checkers/bevel gauges or bore gauge
- easily laser cut!
- "French curve" drawing aids
- also just easily made 2D shapes
- draw knife (e.g. from an old saw blade)
- "mini hacksaw"
- safe capacitor discharge tool
- "Lötfanten" third hands for soldering
- inertial sander (a.k.a. bowl sander/rotary sander for woodturning
- metal bar bender to integrate in a workbench
- three-way wood splitter to prepare stock for woodturning
- coping saw
- and many more!
Pages in category "Self-Made Tools"
The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total.