Lathe-Powered Disc Sander
|Status:||under construction for a looong time|
It should not be that hard to do but the awkward work angle may be a disadvantage.
- sanding disc ✔
- find out which maximum size would fit on the lathe - 320 mm according to its wiki page ✔
- find out which sizes of sanding discs (Schleifscheiben) are common and affordable in that range - 250 mm (approx. 10") looks good ✔
- make a faceplate for the lathe ✔
- apply velcro disc ✔
- do a bit of test sanding ✔
- sturdy box that can be mounted on the lathe bed
- miter fence
- dust extraction
- (optional?) tilting top
Comparable tools are run with speeds between 250 and 750 m/min. Therefore, only the lowest speed of the lathe should be used to drive the sanding disc (850 rpm -> approx. 667 m/min at the edge).