Project:Tree Trunk Tealights
documentation unfinished, ignore this page for now ;-)
I made a bunch of tealight holders out of birch trunks as a wedding decoration and will now work on turning this project into a woodworking seminar for beginners.
- very wet!
- cut & dry in advance??
- risk of mold forming at the cut faces...
- steel holders from <smile link>
- "eco" tealights without aluminum cases <smile link>
Need to test whether this can be sped up - drilling into the wet wood was very difficult!
- cut with chop saw - log often too thick for the small Herkules saw...switch to bandsaw next time?
- sand cut faces with eccentric sander
- let dry - continue & seal ends immediately next time?
- drill with <specific> Forstner bit
- let dry/seal again so the bottom of the hole is protected
- insert steel holder before the log shrinks too much!