Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software can turn a computer model into instructions for a CNC machine.
We did not find the perfect solution yet, here is an alphabetical list of options (also see FabLab München's list):
- Blender CAM
- Windows only, ~40 EUR
- FabMo CAD app
- FlatCAM for PCBs
- FreeCAD (>=0.16) supports basic gcode generation
- did not work so far
- Fusion 360 (Tutorial)
- gcmc "programming language" that compiles to G-code
- GrblGru (Windows only, Freeware) simulator only?
- SVG only
- did not work
- takes SVG as input and generates G-code out of it, and then can steer a CNC mill with it
- graphics sometimes buggy on Mac OS