From CoMakingSpace Wiki
"Spartan" Pencil/Knife Holders
|Status:||somewhat in progress|
|Release Date:||first version: Dec 2020|
|Tools Used:||laser cutter|
|Approx. Cost:||time, not money...|
No, this page is not about holders for Spartans! I made a Spartan shaped knife holder and want to adapt the design to several other holders as well.
My ideas going into this project:
- should be CNC'able and made from wood
- first a small version for pencils, then the typical knife holder you've probably seen on the internet (problem - not very flexible, knife sizes best known in advance)
- helmet pattern should be nicer/more realistic than in most designs - different wood, extra thickness for helmet & less for feathers?
- shield should be round & domed with a lambda on it
- kneeling position would be closer to the 300 movie (arrows are broken when standing up)
- 3D printable "Spartan Toothpick Army"
- etsy image with okay feathers and lambda shield (although too many other lines for my taste)
- Wikipedia - "Hoplite"
- at least one other person also thought of a pencil/stuff holder (laser cut)
First Version (Knife Holder)
Just when I was about to design my Spartan mostly from scratch, I found an Instructable that hits many of my targets already. I vectorized the design to be able to laser cut it out of 6 mm poplar plywood. If the original author is okay with it, I'll share the files once they're all cleaned up!
- duplicated the 12 mm patterns to cut everything from 6 mm plywood
- "Tonight, we dine in HELL" added to the base (font: Levi Brush which is somewhat similar to the "300" movie logo)
- knife slots made a little more random (angled)
- manually cut & charred scratch across the right eye
nice scroll saw trick to try out: blade wrapped in sandpaperI don't think I ended up doing that, actually