Project:Restore old Scooters

From CoMakingSpace Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Bold text

ProjectInfoBox

Restoring old Scooters

Project-default.png
Status: active
Release Date:
Initiator: F.Huchinson
Materials Used: old parts, ABS, ...
Approx. Cost: approx. 250€ for two


So I bought two Piaggio NSLs for 80€ in pretty bad shape. Goal is to do as much as possible from scratch. Very few parts are missing, some plastic parts are cracked or parts are broken off. Both don't start. The two are named Brad and Claire

Agenda

  1. Disassemble and clean thoroughly
  2. Repair cracks with special glue
  3. Broken off parts formed with ABS and glued in place (idea of mine, not sure if it works)
  4. Completely new paint on the chassis (open for color suggestions)
  5. Cleaning and checking all parts of the motor and surrounding parts, replace if not fixable
  6. Reassembly

Some things may ocurr in the process

Process

Claire

First up we try to start her up and test lights, indicators etc. Doesn't start → analyze the issue We need three main parts for a starting engine

  • fuel
  • spark
  • combustion

So I checked the whole fuel system, renewed the carburetor and checked all the tubes. Fuel was an issue since the petrol tap was broken. Next up is checking the spark. Make sure the battery of the scooter is charged! Take your spark plug out of the motor, plug it in, put it on the chassis and press the ignition. I had no spark so the CDI which controls the spark was with the one from Brad (poor fella. Now he's worse than before) Combustion usually is just a problem when your engine is damaged which wasn't the case for Claire. As I've heard from the seller we'll be looking into that on Brad. Total costs on this are 20€ on a new petrol tap, 7€ for a part in the carburetor and some change for new screws.

Now we got the girl running! Next up is cleaning! Yay...!

25 years of dirt are no fun at all! I took off the air filter for the engine, cleaned it out and the form inlay used to be washable. when I tried it crumbled in my hands :D So I ordered a new inlay for 10€ at my local vendor for Piaggio parts. Since the exhaust was quite rusty I used some temperature resistant spray paint (2€ at Action) and replaced the gasket (5€) and the bolts with some stainless steel ones since the old ones were very rusty (12 cents at Bauhaus).

The seat and its hinge is very rusty. Removing the bolt that kept everything in place took me two hours! I'm going to turn a piece out of aluminium and see if that's going to work. Because I learned rust is a b*tch.

In the future I'm gonna take care of the chassis, clean her up, replace the lightbulbs and either spraypaint her or get some foil.

Costs

Claire

  • 50€ Scooter
  • 10€ Filter
  • 7€ Carburetor parts
  • 5€ Gaskets
  • 2€ Paint
  • 1€ nuts, bolts and screws

Total: 75€

If somebody has experience or ideas please message me :)