Dowel Centers

From CoMakingSpace Wiki


Dowel Centers

Dowel centers.JPG
Synonyms: DE: Dübelmarkierer, Dübelspitzen,
Dübelhütchen, "Dübelfixe"
Type: marking tool
Material: wood, dowels
Used with: drill; hammer or mallet
Location: above drilling table
(wood workshop)
Access Requirements: read this page
Similar (More or Less): doweling jigs

Dowel centers are inserted into the dowel holes in one of the two pieces to be joined, which is then pressed (or hammered, if necessary) against the location of the designated joint on the other piece. The marks they leave behind show you where to drill and save you a lot of measuring and swearing!

We have a set of four 8 mm dowel centers and a few single ones in other diameters.

the centers are inserted into a drilled piece, then pushed into the other one where they leave marks telling you where to drill next