From CoMakingSpace Wiki
Adobe Illustrator File
|Software:||Adobe Illustrator, LaserCut 5.3 (import)|
AI is the native Adobe Illustrator file format. Adobe Illustrator has been around since 1988, and the file format has been updated many times over the years. When saving in the AI file format, Adobe Illustrator offers a selection of legacy AI file formats.
The Adobe Illustrator 10 file format is compatible with the LaserCut 5.3 software for our laser cutter.
Instructions to prepare files for the LaserCut software:
- make sure all elements are in vector format and are on one single layer
- any text should be converted into vector paths ("Object" > "Expand...")
- use the "Save as..." command from the menu and select "Adobe Illustrator (ai)". After pressing the Save button, Illustrator display another dialog box with more options
- Version: "Illustrator 10"; deselect all other options
- in LaserCut 5.3, select "File" > "Import" and open the .ai file