A chop saw is an electric miter saw (BE: mitre saw) and consists of a large circular saw and a sturdy frame. Movement of the saw head is restricted by a sliding rail which can be angled both vertically and horizontally ("compound miter").
For the hand tool capable of making only horizontally angled cuts, see miter saw.
Always keep your hands clear of the blade path and use the machine's clamp and the back fence to hold your workpiece in place. If your workpiece is too small for the clamp, a 10 million dollar stick allows you to hold it from a safe distance!
Before turning on the power at all, make sure you understand how the saw head will move and double check that all restraints are properly and tightly adjusted.
Bosch GCM 12 GDL
Bosch GCM 12 GDL
|Synonyms:||sliding compound miter saw;|
DE: Kappsäge, Kapp-, Zug- und
|Used with:||circular saw blades, shop vac, inclinometer|
|Access Requirements:||Chop Saw Introduction|
|Similar (More or Less):||miter saw, circular saw, table saw,|
radial arm saw
Miter angle (horizontal): left/right 45°
Bevel angle (vertical): left 0-47° right 0-47°
- Loosen locking screw in the front
- Pull "miter presetting lever" 
- can be locked up with a locking clamp 
- Move to desired angle (indents at 45°, 31.6°, 22.5°, 15°, 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, 45°, 60°)
- tighten locking screw  before cutting!
- Loosen the locking lever 
- The saw can now be tilted up to 45° to the left
- In order to tilt to the right (or further than 45°) the rotary knob  on the right needs to be turned to the desired direction.
- if the knob is hard to turn, push the saw slightly in the other direction before turning the knob
- Push the locking lever back down
- Check the travel before making the cut. If necessary move the fences to clear all the parts of the saw.
Our saw is designed for saw blades measuring 305 × 30 × 1,7-2,6 mm (OD × bore × thickness).
The currently installed blade is a Bosch "expert Wood" 305 × 30 × 2.4 mm one with 72 carbide-tipped teeth.
Locking Movement Axis
Locking sliding mechanism
- A lever  can be switched to restrict the sliding movement of the saw
- On the right side of the saw a screw  can be used to adjust the depth stop of the saw.
- The depth stop can be disengaged by switching 
- (the transport safety lock  in the same area is not related to this)
The saw has a line laser that indicates the cutting edges (left and right). The switch for the laser can be found on the handle . Please consult the manual if the laser isn't accurate anymore. There is an adjustment procedure.
Noise & Dirt
If you are not alone, ask the others whether it is okay to cut for a few minutes as they may have to interrupt their project to give you room and to protect their ears. Although the saw is not extremely loud, it is definitely startling when you are surprised by it turning on in your back!
It's advisable to hook up a shop vac for dust extraction as the passive collector bags that typically come with this kind of tool are not too efficient. Even the shop vac will let a lot of sawdust escape. The Festool shop vac fits the dust extraction. Please be aware that the saw draws too much power to be connected through the shop vac's on-board outlet, but should be powered from a separate power outlet instead.
The blade should be sharpened or replaced when it becomes dull, otherwise using it is very dangerous! Tell a manager if you are noticing any problems, e.g. increased force required to cut your workpieces or poor quality cuts.
Decreased cutting ability can also result from dirt buildup - here are some cleaning instructions.
Other names (just test) Gehrungs-Kappsäge Zug-, Kapp- und Gehrungssäge